Delta has donated $1 million to support the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine via American Red Cross and Global Red Cross Movement and now gives the opportunity to its customers to support a good cause.
SkyMiles members “can join Delta in supporting people affected by the Ukraine crisis by donating miles to the American Red Cross. Delta will convert all donated miles into dollars to help provide humanitarian relief to those affected by the Ukraine crisis.” reads a press release.
Travelers will find a variety of NGOs here, like the American Red Cross and UNICEF, which are responding to the situation in Ukraine. People can split their donations among up to five organizations.
Donations from individuals outside the United States may be made through the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies website.
According to the carrier, contributions through Delta are used for the following,
- Distribution of more than 90,000 food and hygiene packages to families fleeing across Ukraine, including Mariupol.
- First aid training for more than 12,000 people in metro stations and bomb shelters.
- Delivering more than 32 tons of food, blankets, medicine, medical supplies, trauma kits and household items.
- Assisting with the evacuation of people with disabilities.
- Distribution of essential supplies to more than 7,000 people seeking shelter from shelling in bunkers.
“The most important way to help is financial giving, as the American Red Cross and the Global Red Cross Movement have the resources and infrastructure to obtain and deliver goods, supplies and trained volunteers to the places and people that need it most,” said Tad Hutcheson, Delta’s Managing Director of Community Engagement.
According to the American Red Cross, the current needs are immense, with the most vital being water distribution, help for health facilities, and medical care for wounded families.
“Our people’s hearts are big, and their desire to offer support to these refugees is boundless,” said Delta Station Manager Bruno Varillion.