The U.S. finally reopened for international visitors after nearly two years of strict travel bans. Considering a trip there? Even though you might be vaccinated, which is now one of the key requirements to enter the U.S. for foreign nationals, you are still at risk of contracting and spreading the virus.
Additional expenses might come with COVID-19 hospitalization and treatment. And as we are committed to supporting the health and well-being of our fellow travelers, we have chosen the 5 best insurance plans to have your back even if you travel to the U.S. during the coronavirus crisis.
So read on. These are the 5 best COVID-19 insurance plans for traveling, working, living, or studying in the U.S.
Best Covid Travel Insurance For the U.S.
- SafetyWing Travel Insurance – Best Rated
- Explore North America® Plus
- CoverAmerica – Gold Insurance – The Best Benefits
- Staysure Travel Insurance – Best for U.K. Travelers
- Allianz Travel Insurance – Most Trusted
1. SafetyWing Travel Insurance – BEST RATED
This travel medical insurance is the best option for travelers to U.S. It is also a great choice for both short and long-term tourists or remote workers.
- Safety Wing covers COVID-19 the same way as any other illness as long as it was not contracted before your coverage start date.
- It covers you in your home country as well, as long as your visit there is incidental.
- Since April 15, 2021, it covers quarantine outside your home country of $50/day for up to 10 days. Note that the quarantine can be covered only once a year and if mandated by a physician or governmental authority.
- SafetyWing Nomad Insurance is also pretty affordable. Depending on your age, the prices are as follows for a 4-week period: 10-39 years old: USD 76.72, 40-49 years old: USD 126.56. For other age groups, you can find the prices here.
- Testing for COVID-19 is covered only if deemed necessary by a physician. That is rather inconvenient, as most countries require testing before entry.
- It does not cover citizens from Iran, Syria, North Korea, or Cuba.
If you are new to SafetyWing, the COVID-19 coverage will be added automatically to your plan. On the other hand, if you are already part of SafetyWing, we recommend you reach out to their customer service team, and they will upgrade your plan.
SafetyWing also offers Remote Health insurance which is suitable for long-term nomads. It is more pricey but covers pre-existing conditions, cancer treatment, and you can use it in your home country as well.
What else does this insurance cover?
On top of everything, SafetyWing covers more than 94 recreational activities, including surfing, biking, hiking, and snowboarding.
2. Explore North America® Plus — Coronavirus Travel Insurance
Explore North America Plus travel insurance is a comprehensive medical coverage administered by Seven Corners that offers extensive coverage for Covid19 and other diseases.
This insurance plan also covers Non-U.S. residents and Non-U.S. citizens who are traveling outside their home country to the United States, Mexico, Canada, or all Caribbean countries except Cuba.
Special COVID-19 coverage:
We have chosen Explore North America Plus because of its special benefits when it comes to coronavirus medical expenses.
Most travel insurances that claim to cover COVID-19 medical treatments include a “convenient” fine print that says they won’t cover you if the country you are visiting has a government no-travel alert, which most countries have.
That does not happen with Explore North America® Plus. If you contract COVID-19 on your trip, you’re covered, as simple as that.
- The plan covers medically Usual, Reasonable and Customary (URC) treatment for COVID-19 up to $100,000 or whichever is less.
- Emergency Room Services – (URC) up to medical maximum – $100 copay
- Urgent Care Visit – (URC) up to medical maximum – $20 copay
- It also covers some onset of pre-existing conditions
- Hospital Indemnity – Only applies to Canada, Mexico and the unrestricted Caribbean countries* – Up to $150 per day, 30-day limit
- Incidental trips on your home country – Up to $10,000
- Dental – Relief of pain – Up to $200
- Dental – Accident – Up to $5,000
- Evacuation and Repatriation – Up to $500,000 (separate from the medical maximum)
- It only covers trips of up to one year
- It does not cover people older than 74
- *The plan does not cover trips to Cuba.
Interested? – Get your quote here!
3. CoverAmerica – Gold Insurance – The Best Benefits
CoverAmerica is perfect for travelers and tourists visiting the U.S. who are not citizens or residents of the country.
- CoverAmerica covers COVID-19 as any other medical condition. However, note that it has to be purchased for at least 30 days to be eligible for the benefit.
- Unlike other travel plans, it has comprehensive coverage for COVID-19. That means you can get reimbursement for delays, quarantine days, or missed flight connections if you get infected with the coronavirus.
- The coverage limit is up to USD 1,000,000 (conditions may apply).
- NOT available for U.S. citizens and residents.
- Citizens from Iran, Syria, the Virgin Islands, Ghana, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone cannot contract this insurance.
- This travel insurance covers emergency treatment of pre-existing conditions, acute dental treatment, and eye exams.
To learn more about CoverAmerica and its plans, click here.
4. Staysure Travel Insurance – BEST FOR U.K. TRAVELERS
Staysure Travel Insurance is the best choice for visitors traveling from the U.K., Spain, France, or Portugal.
- Staysure covers trip cancellations, emergency medical treatment, as well as repatriation expenses if you get affected by COVID-19 (conditions may apply).
- It also offers daily benefits if you have to self-isolate, additional accommodation, and transport, but only if mandated by a health official.
- If your close relative or a member of your household is hospitalized or dies of COVID-19, you can cancel or cut your trip short and claim reimbursement.
- Moreover, it is reasonably priced. To get a quote, visit the website here.
- ONLY for travelers traveling from the U.K., Spain, France, or Portugal.
- You won’t be covered if you have refused any dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Does not cover COVID-19 testing, which is often needed to be able to travel.
Note that Staysure doesn’t cover you if you travel during government or regional lockdown.
5. Allianz Travel Insurance – Most Trusted
Allianz Travel Insurance is suitable for all types of travelers traveling from Ireland. From digital nomads and remote workers to students and backpackers, they offer a variety of plans in three different levels – bronze, silver, and gold.
- This travel insurance covers general COVID-19 medical treatment, as well as additional accommodation, transport, or cancellation of your trip if you contract the virus.
- They offer several insurance plans, such as Single Trip Insurance, Backpacker Travel Insurance, or Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance.
- You can cancel or cut your trip short if your close relative or travel companion gets seriously ill from the disease.
- If the DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs) advises against all non-essential travel, you can make your claim only if you provide documentation that you travel for a specific reason, not leisure.
- It is ONLY for citizens and residents of the Republic of Ireland.
- Allianz Travel Insurance offers an extensive Winter Sports and Ski add-on.
Interested in this insurance travel plan? Get your quote.
So, what do you think? Have you chosen your favorite? We hope our comparison has helped you at least a bit, and you will have peace of mind even while traveling during unpredictable times such as the pandemic. Enjoy, stay safe, and see you in the U.S.!
Disclaimer: Most travel insurance companies are still adapting to the “new normal” way to travel the world. We strongly advise you to check with your insurance company before committing to any insurance plan.